Tuesday 13 September 2011

Humanity, what does it really mean?

This has been a difficult week for many people around the world. It has been a difficult week for me and in particular my children. And all of this got me to thinking about humanity.

What is humanity?

Wiser people than me have tried to define it. Why therefor should I have a better take on things? Well I can't say that I have a better take on things just my own personal perspective.

Humbly I would argue that humanity is about human beings showing acts of selflessness not selfishness towards each other on not a monthly or quartely basis but on a second by second timescale. It is about random acts of kindness and love given without thought of compensation being offered. It is about helping up those who have fallen, even if they be your mortal enemy. It is about generosity of spirit and of thought.

Many in the world would have us believe in a dog eat dog culture, survival of the fittest. I can understand that as I have lived in that world but take this thought for one moment.

If the fittest survives then there can be only one fittest by definition and when all others are gone then the fittest is left as a lonely, isolated being as described so well in the novelette by Matheson, I am Legend.

However as all who have read the book or seen the excellent film starring Will Smith the one thing that the main character yearns for is company and that is the reality of humanity. We seek the comfort and nurturing of others. And if others do not provide that then we have indeed lost everything.

Deep, well maybe. Insightful, I don't think so. Yet I still have an infinite belief that man is his own worst enemy and that violence, greed, corruption and self centredness will ultimately lead to our destruction.

So in the words of the immortal.......

Try a little tenderness  

No comments:

Post a Comment