Friday 19 July 2013

Its rough up North part 2

This commentator is unfortunately unhappy again. Well where have you seen that before?

http://tseniortfte.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/whats-in-name.html

This was my take on Katie Hopkins and her attitudes towards names. Now she's started on accents.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/katie-hopkins--stephanie-mcgovern-and-northerners-sound-stupid-131026114.html#VpTiGmV

Please excuse me but which rock did you crawl out from under?

When I married my wife my accent changed from the broad Yorkshire to one of more like that great Huddersfield actor Patrick Stewart. Oh did I speak with such eloquence, with such vigour and my Richard III was magnificent (Did I tell you that I was quite a thespian myself? No I didn't think so and that is for a different time perhaps)

Now though, because I'm divorced, I speak au naturelle with a proud Yorkshire accent (although I do a fair West Country one having lived in and around these parts for years now) I could never do Scouse, even though I lived in Liverpool for several years, go'ed you say, but no sadly I could never quite master it. Unlike Jan Molby the great Liverpool and Danish footballer who I met on several occasions at Anfield or clubs or bars around the City. He really did master the Liverpool accent but funnily enough most people who I met thought that was charming or mildly amusing but certainly not horrible.

But does it matter?

For years regional accents were frowned upon particularly at the BBC. Even when I was a child and won a poetry competition that led to my first radio appearance I noticed that Radio Leeds had all proper speakers around me. My Geoffrey Boycott accent wasn't really that wonderful I might add. And so once again I got into a mind set that said I hard to speak proper and there was nowt else to be done.

Yet now I look on things somewhat differently for as someone who has grown up in a diverse world I have come to appreciate that diversity should be celebrated. So Katie Hopkins you can take your thoughts place them in a tin and go away. As one member of the Royle Family might say 'My arse!'


After all whilst I love Patrick Stewart's Jean-Luc Picard I'm delighted to say

We shall not be assimilated we have no wish to be Borg!  

1 comment: