Saturday 30 March 2013

Why Winston and me are entwined forever

I was born on Winston Churchill's last birthday, he died two months later. I have always been aware of his presence in my life, how could I not be? Born on the same day as a man who effectively saved Britain from capitulating to become a Vichy State as Lord Halifax would have had us do. Although some do not believe in astrology, and I have to say I take it with a large pinch of salt, I would say that I share many of the qualities of Winston. I am a romantic, particularly in the notions of history and it's importance to our future, I am obdurate, a more stubborn person you are not likely to find, I am a Maverick, I will not tow the party line for the sake of a quiet life I chose to do what is right, and overall I care. I care passionately about the people around me and the world in which we live. However I am also bestowed with some of the characteristics of my Grandfather, the man who brought me up. He was a proud union man a man who believed in the equality of the person and the right of the common man to succeed and enjoy the simple pleasures of this word. He was more Orwellian  in his thought process and he showed me the true sense of humanity.

The reason for today's blog? Simon Schama's History of Britain, "The Two Winstons" He talks about the way in which two completely opposite camps Churchill and Orwell came together to fight for democracy at our darkest time. His belief in the unlikeliest of allies shows me something of today that needs to be addressed in the time of darkness that we approach.

And why are we in a time of darkness? Is it the Euro? Is it North Korea? No not really it is the travesty of what has been unfolding admidst the corridors of power since the present Government took power. The way in which our democratic state has been returning to the prewar status quietly and behind the scenes is defining of Great Britain's fall from greatness. Has Halifax finally won the day? Have we allowed, sleepwalked even into, an Orwellian world where the future is controlled by the state? Were we so naive as to let this happen and can we do anything about it?

Well I for one am willing to stand up. I believe in civilised society, I believe in democracy, I believe in equality of thought, feeling and person. I believe in the human race's ability to overcome injustice and to improve and grow.

We must keep our National Health Service, we must protect those who are unable to protect themselves, we must seek to educate in an open and honest way teaching our children , and adults alike, to be free thinkers and expansive in thought, and we must seek to help the vulnerable, poor and desperate. This weekend we celebrate in the Christian world the festival of Easter, the day one man supposedly died to cleanse us of our sins.

I am not religious however if Jesus truly was the Son of God and he truly died on the cross to be the Savior of mankind then what would he have thought of Great Britain today?  



  

No comments:

Post a Comment