Friday 1 February 2013

Sporting Chance? Not thanks to Mr Gove

The legacy of the Olympics is all we hear about when it comes to sport these days yet today that legacy seems to have hit a brick wall due the cutting of funding for sport in state schools.

Sport was my life at school, college and university. It gave me freedom. In my teenage years it took me away from the prospect of seeing my father take another round with Mr Grant or Mr Walker and it made me feel happy in a world that was dominated by whisky. It was you might say the thing that saved my life.

So why now would you take sport away from schools? Sport helps us learn in a different way. It can be as inclusive as you want it to be. In fact if you have a serious commitment to sport it can be the most inclusive way of teaching. It doesn't have to be competitive but it can be. Assessing children in the context of a sporting environment can give a more holistic picture of how a child is developing.

Sure you will say what about the fat overweight kid who hated running and was always the last to be picked for a team. I would say back to you stop and stop now. I can assure you everyone can be included in sport and if someone is seriously obese as a child then it is important to encourage participation purely for the sake of the health of the child if nothing else.

In future if we are serious as a nation for the development of our children then we have to show a commitment to their health and social skills as well as their academic skills. Sport enables us to do this and Mr Gove you need to realise that sport is as important in education as academic subjects.

But there again when have you ever cared about inclusivity and education. For you Mr Gove it's all about elitism

No comments:

Post a Comment