Wednesday 10 August 2011

28 Days Later?

OK you've seen the film, and now we have witnessed some of the reality of widespread civil unrest but need we really worry. After all surely this will all calm down, the police will restore order and arrests and convictions will see the guilty punished.

In the short term that will happen, but what about the long term?

I was listening to Radio 5 Live this morning whilst going about my daily business and sat next to me was my 10 year old son listening attentively. There was the usual hogwash spouted but two callers took my attention for very different reasons.

The first, an elderly sounding Caribbean gentleman spoke about the fact that there were no role models out there for our youth and when he had the temerity to stand up for his argument by suggesting that corruption was rife in power brokers he was rudely shut down by the presenter who clearly was showing personal bias. Oh no I hear you shout the BBC would never do that well that they did because when Valerie the deputy head came on he was very pally because Valerie was upstanding on discipline and moralising.

Now why is my 10 year old hoody wearing son so interested in all this.

Well he was home educated until last year because of a system that closed ranks on him when he needed help and understanding not discipline and berating.

Like the good middle class family does at the age of 4 a school was chosen for him. But he suffered terribly from nerves. He was so bad that he suffered from heart palpitations, endless sleepless nights, bed wetting, clingyness way beyond normal, and a terrifying fear of being away from his close family.

And what was the schools response? He was attacked in front of his mother by a teaching assistant who was then defended by her award winning Headmistress who made up a wonderful story of lies that was believed by her moronic Governors. When we took this to the LEA they basically said we can't do anything and because we were being threatened with legal action over keeping him away from school there became no other option to withdraw him and home educate.

Now that was something we were not really keen on for a whole raft of reasons so although he was given the best education we could we ultimately looked for other schools.

At the two following schools both were not about understanding the needs of the child but about puttng the needs of the teachers first, discipline was what was needed. So for years he was kept at home whilst we tried to do the most difficult of jobs and that was home educate a young person and work.

It blasted holes in the family relationship and in reality the family fell apart. The strain was terrible.

Then a school was finally found that actually understood that children are different and have different needs. The headmaster is a kind and wonderful man who has a passion for his students and his staff, a true leader. As a result my 10 year old son has completed his first year at school and is flying now with confidence and ability.

I was badly beaten as a child because I had a mother who although loved me had no idea what my needs were. I swore that I would never discipline a child with violence. I swore that I would be understanding and caring and although there are times when my children and I have had major challenges I believe that we have worked together to overcome them. I have done the best job that I could do in supporting them and whilst the mistakes made have been many they have turned out pretty good kids and now young adults.

So what were my 10 year old's comments about Valerie. Well he said that he would not like to go to her school because she sounded like Cruella. He was glad that he went to the school he did. He was angry at the rioters for being stupid idiots, his words, not mine, and that they know it's wrong to steal.

So am I blaming the teachers, no not really, well not those at the coal face. I am blaming those who play politics with children's lives though for their own gain in a system that is designed for the adult not the child.

A child is not born evil but learns those concepts from those around them. The Caribbean gentleman was right we need positive role models who can interact with young people and work with them.

Young people need to show understanding of their interdependent place in society and society should not write off a young person because they don't fit in nicely and do what they are told.

Non of this excuses what has gone on in the rioting and the looting. It was wrong. Long term though if we do not start radically rethinking and changing our strategies then it is likely that this sort of thing will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment