Thursday 13 September 2012

When a Knight has no honour

What really beggars belief is the day after the most damning report ever in relation to cover up and conspiracy in the UK, one of the main players, Norman Bettiston has come out and held on to the same ridiculous story that has caused pain beyond belief to the families of 96 dead Liverpool supporters.

Being a Knight of the Realm is supposed to be about honour and integrity, but not for this one. This is the first positioning of saving one's own backside.

For three years during the 1980's I stood on the Kop or at Goodison Park watching some of the greatest football and the greatest teams I had ever seen. I stood in crowds where you could hardly move. I even stood in the middle of the Kop and cheered for York City in an FA Cup tie.

And not once did I feel like I was ever in danger!

Merseyside Police were impeccable at handling large crowds in tight situations week in week out, the same crowds that arrived at Hillsborough that tragic April afternoon. They were experienced, capable, forceful, directed, jovial, constantly chatting to the fans and most of all organised.

Yet in South Yorkshire that day there was complete carnage that was brought about not by the fans of two great football clubs but by the ineptitude of one or two key players who were either too wet behind the ears or too arrogant to realise that they were out of their depths.

I do not blame individual officers on the ground, from what I can tell most of them performed to the best of their ability on what was a dark day. No I see this as a clear failure of management and organisation.

So Norman Bettiston better needs to get real and needs to act in a more contrite manner as all I see is the light of his career going out like a flame in nitrogen.

And rightly so.

Justice for the 96, justice for the families, justice for the whole of Merseyside,

NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment