Sunday 29 April 2012

Hungry for it?

Now over the years I've seen a lot of films. I've seen the good, the bad and the darn right terrible but when I went to see The Hunger Games I think I saw one of the more disturbing.

It is not a new nor brilliant concept in my opinion. In many ways it is no different from Lord of the Flies, A Clockwork Orange, Death Race or The Running Man. It is well crafted though and challenges a society that has somewhat changed in recent years especially in relation to children.

It is disturbing because I went with my 11 year old son who came out and there was little or no reaction. No reaction either from all the other children that were also watching, well perhaps there was the odd 'she killed them good remark' but that was about it. And I have to ask the question why?

As a psychologist I am aware of dissociation of events however if this is the case here it would seem to be a class dissociation of the whole of the pre-teen generation. Are our children becoming Piggy? or Droogs? Is violence acceptable now or has it always been but it seems more real now?

I think I need more time to reflect upon my observations but I really wanted to start the debate as I am concerned for our future. In our educational system we seek to destroy spontaneity not release it. Our want to control is almost second nature but we are not born wanting to control we develop that urge so does our society drive us towards that control?

To be continued..........................   




No comments:

Post a Comment